Me and Macs

I rarely talk about the computer and operating system that make my life on the world wide web possible, but unless you're brand spanking new to this blog, you know I use a Mac. I just don't talk about it much.

There are a couple of reasons for that: One is that there are plenty of blogs and web sites that will tell you about the Mac and any user experience with it. Another is that I get my dose of "Mac writing" when I post to the Norwegian Mac Usenet group.

It's weird that a brand of computer leads one into what almost seems like an exclusive country club, but it's been an entirely enjoyable experience: I have found a bunch of Norwegians who are non-conformists in a country that swears by Microsoft and Windows, and who are also extremely helpful to anyone who happens to have a Mac.

I use a Mac because after several years of printers not talking to DOS 2.x - and my job consisting of running around setting DIP-switches for other users, I was amazed that someone had already made a PC that instantly communicated with its printer. That was in late 1990, and I've used a Mac at work since. In 1997, I also got a Mac at home, and access to the internet. I've gotten pretty good at solving problems by myself - aided by the Usenet newsgroup and Google - and the Mac has also helped me navigate Windows (I left other PCs behind when DOS was still in use).

So why this blog post tonight? One reason is the live feed from Apple's keynote in San Francisco, monitored in a browser window, and commented on with fellow Norwegian Mac-users in iChat. The other reason is that I have an in-house job interview on Monday (yay!) and if I should get/take the job, I will no longer be using a Mac at work. I'll have to get used to Windows, but that'll just be fun. I'm a bit of a nerd, and I love learning new stuff. But after about 18 years of Mac using, it's going to be weird not having one on my desk any more.

PS: Finally! The iPhone is coming to Norway!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning out my surf-box

Brave enough, after all