And then it's all OK again

This week has been a very good week at work for me. I've been doing something I love to do (the layout of a 48-page magazine all by myself), and the sun's been shining.

My department is still waiting to hear the final outcome, but in the mean time, two co-workers went ahead and applied for other jobs in-house. That's when I realized that loyalty be damned - look out for number 1! So I applied for a job, too.

I'm going to spend the weekend re-learning how to write a resumé, because it's been ages since I last had to, and I've forgotten how.

But the very act of applying for a job did something: It proved to me that I could take action, it removed some inertia, and it created a desire to do even a job application well.

Today, my company threw a summer party. Over 500 employees in the employee cafeteria, treated to a buffet dinner and free bar (wine and beer), and a big band to dance to. And in the midst of wondering if anyone cares and do I really want to stay with this company comes the joy of being with co-workers, familiar and not so familiar, circulating, meeting new people, reconnecting with others, and generally reaffirming that this really is a nice place to spend the 20 years until retirement. Just find a way to be happy doing so. The fact that I could drink wine and my stomach didn't protest once also helped.

So on a warm summer's night, with clear blue skies above me and the sun not yet set, I find myself completely cheered and encouraged.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Definitely sounds like a good day!
alice said…
I'm about to revisit the resumé myself, after so many years I'm not sure how long it's been! It's strangely scary and exhilarating at the same time! :-o
Keera Ann Fox said…
Jon, it definitely was, also before the party. I've been having a good week, actually.

Alice, I was thinking of you when I applied for the job. It's good to shake off the inertia.

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning out my surf-box

Brave enough, after all