In a jiffy

Some words in the English language are a lot of fun to say or look at or both. Skedaddle, poppycock, aviation, jiffy, moron. Today's Daily Prompt (I'm obviously not doing them daily) is Jiffy. I am a person who walks fast and likes to get things done quickly, but I never say I'll get things done in a jiffy. I'm never too sure how long something will take me, and am absolutely certain that a jiffy is not long enough.

As Wikipedia points out (I found that link in a jiffy):
Jiffy is an informal term for any unspecified short period of time, as in "I will be back in a jiffy". From this it has acquired a number of more precise applications for short, very short, or extremely short periods of time.
And there's the rub. Extremely short periods of time are wonderful at the dentist's. Who wants drilling to go on for more than a second or two? Or have a metal tool scraping plaque off your teeth for more than a moment? These things are wonderful when they stop, and the sooner they stop, the better. All dentists should be able to do things in a jiffy.

Me? Not so much. I type fast, and I assume I think fast, too, at least when I'm not upset or stressed, but doing things in a jiffy? Never happened. Never will happen. I don't know where the time goes, and my routines are not complicated, but I still have to leave half an hour to get washed and dressed and made up. And another half hour to get breakfast and eat it without feeling rushed.

Also: "gif" is pronounced like "gift" minus the "t". Yes, I'm in that camp. Because there's jif and jiffy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning out my surf-box

Brave enough, after all