We are not a muse

So over at Chez Alice's, Alice herself posted about the dearth of postings on her blog. Specifically, postings that feature writing, rather than photography. I recognize and sympathize with Alice's sense of lack since my own blog has the same dearth.

The amount of time has not changed. The interest in the world around me has not tapered off. Yet all my time at the computer no longer produces creative output. Repeatedly, my creativity is spent on a comment or three on someone's Facebook status or on someone's blog. Short bursts of opinion weigh in after writing, editing, and more editing - at someone else's place.

And it baffles me.

Where is my initiative to polish and publish something on my own dear blog (which has been with me for 8 years and 11 months today)? Why does my creativity remind me more of junk food grabbed on the run than a proper home-cooked meal eaten where it was made? And how do I reverse this?

Alice and I have challenged each other to a game of tag. When one posts a written post, then the other must get off her butt, sit down, and update her blog with writing, too. There is no time limit except that we expect to update each blog weekly.

So that has inspired this.

Yet, my question of where genuine inspiration and motivation and enthusiasm for treating my readers (and myself) to a thought, an experience, an adventure using a series of paragraphs is still unanswered.

Do Facebook status updates stifle creativity? Does the convenience of shooting off a sentence on Twitter hinder further thought?

I don't want what I tell you to be I'm going off to bed or that I've just made dinner or that I heard a good song and you can buy it too via iTunes. Like a piece of candy, that sort of thing seems perfect at the moment - for a moment. It's impulse and impulsive.

I think all social media have their place, and should complement each other rather than crowd each other out. That is a matter of priority, however, not type of media. Blogs aren't dead yet, and neither is the joy of writing. But blogs take more time, if they are to be done right. And time tends to get sacrificed when distracted by updates and tweets and anything else going on.

I think my brain (and perhaps yours) needs something far more nutritious than an update. Something that makes more than a couple of neurons fire. Something that forces me to think, edit, and think again. Something less impulsive and more compulsive.

It'll come to me.

Comments

Zuzana said…
Dear Keera, I think we all go through times when our mind has nothing to say. When typing a post feels off and nothing inspires us, at least not enough to share it.
I was thinking the other day how I used to post every day. Then I posted three times a week, now barely two or even only one. I know it is only temporary as other things occupy my mind. When I am ready to write more often, I will.;) And I know you will too.;) And after all, it is quality that counts, not the quantity.;) And your writing - albeit scarce - always exuberates the first.;))
And I am so impressed that you have blogged almost 9 years!
Have a great weekend dear friend,
xoxo
Jon said…
That is why I don't blog. I would feel the need to have something profound to say and I know I am not that smart or creative. My thoughts are more random and not often thought provoking. That said, I am thoroughly impressed with your stamina. I have been following you for about the last 4 or 5 years and appreciate whatever you have to share. Thank you for that.
Bob said…
I like Twitter, the way you can send a tweet and off it goes to somebody. For someone like me who likes one liners it's a treat, but I only do it occasionally so that's OK.

Facebook I don't do. My life is not that interesting to share it, unfortunately. I like more than anything commenting on people's blogs. :)

You raise a very good point, though: These things take up time. Should then I be finishing the Henry James novel or spending my time on my blog or commenting? It's the opportunity cost thing. As it turns out I have a lot of free time, so really, I can do all these things to fill up my day.

But then, I want to write a big Lit. novel, and I wonder if I'm sabotaging myself, evading it. I think I am to some extent, just putting it off.

So, note to self, Start it!

Thanks Keera. It was a thought provoking post and not without result! :)
alice said…
Well, it took me a while, but I did actually get something up. Finally. Whew. ;-)
Keera Ann Fox said…
Thanks all, for your feedback! And for coming back!

It's always the struggle with juggling time, isn't it. And not letting ourselves get so distracted we can neither finish nor start something.

I have no solutions. But I will write again. :-)
alice said…
I can't believe we started this discussion more than a month ago. Juggling time _is_ a struggle.

I have no solutions either, but I'll try to keep up. ;-)

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning out my surf-box

Brave enough, after all