A last look at Dresden

Here are a few more pictures from Dresden, before "we" leave. First, we had to eat. It was noon when our official city guiding was done, and it was a rather bitter day weather-wise, so we wanted someplace warm, too. We were about 10 people who disappeared through a doorway, and down a long, spiraling staircase, not really knowing what to expect. What greeted us when we got to the bottom was a medieval-style(d) restaurant, the Sophienkeller. I highly recommend it!


We were eating in a room called "Zeithainer Lustlager" - "time-copse desire-camp". Heh.

The goulash was held in a metal pot over a tealight to keep it warm.

The atmosphere delighted us and so did the food. I had potato soup. The men had Real Men's Food. (One of them actually skipped dinner that evening. Understandably, since he'd eaten his entire lunch!)

Then it was back out in what was somewhat improved weather, camera ready.


I thought this old baroque bridge was absolutely gorgeous.

I also liked this modern version which also bridged old and new buildings.

Entrance to the tourist information office.

This organ grinder holds up a sign in front of his face if you try to take a picture without paying him 1 Euro. I did pay but I think this is the better picture.

This building is the sort of thing I've always associated with Dresden - as being Dresden.

Our hotel was on the river and apparently got a lot of bugs. I found this warning hung on my window's handle:

And the wonderful English translation on the reverse:

In spite of that warning, I did find three spiders (living and dead) in my hotel room. I also discovered that there is a screen on the window, too. Feisty spiders!

Comments

SolSionnach said…
Love the medieval restaurant!
You'd think that the Germans would make better english translations than the asians do (think "engrish") Oh well! :D
Sparkling Red said…
I could go for some of that goulash right about now!
:-)
alice said…
Oooh! I've had a strange craving for goulash for a couple of weeks now! And you've got me jonesin' for it again...

Lovely pictures!
Beep said…
You are living my dream...to travel the world, and write and photograph it :) My poor north node in 9 doesn't get to go as far as it wants to but in the next life I will reincarnate as a Sag? ;) LOL. Thank you for sharing your travels!
Keera Ann Fox said…
Sravana, it's fairly rare to see mangled English, but it does happen.

Spark, you and Alice need to get together over some goulash. :-)

Beep, the funny thing is that this isn't traveling the world for me (that would involve going to far dirtier places on other continents). It is quite ordinary for Europeans to vacation in Europe. :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning out my surf-box

Brave enough, after all