Mar 25, 2007

New neighbors!

For a while there, I thought they had abandoned their building project. They had started with a nice foundation, then a storm came and I didn't see them for a couple of weeks. But they came back, and they have been busy building one of the most indestructable structures known in nature: A magpie nest. Floor, walls and roof, tightly woven together from twigs, characterizes the home of breeding magpies.

I caught my new neighbors busy working some longish twigs into their ever-growing nest this morning (compression sucks):

I'm told that if they drop a twig, they won't pick it up and use it again.

I am delighted to have the magpies this close! (I may not be after the neighborhood cats discover the nest, though.)

2 comments:

alice said...

Great video! The one bird's struggle with that long twig is epic!

)You might consider submitting this to next friday's modulator's ark...)

Mark said...

Here's a soundtrack for your video.

It was written for Janis Joplin after her death:

http://arts.ucsc.edu/gdead/agdl/bird.html