An October greeting


Autumn Ortuvann 2006 - 12   —  Originally uploaded by thinkbigshrinktofit

When I was a kid, I didn't like autumn. Autumn meant gray skies, gray trees, gray ground. I was well and truly adult before I discovered that the gray comes between autumn and winter. Autumn itself is color: Bright, brilliant, contrasting, changing.

Last year's September and October were rough for me; this year's were also. September was Grandma's birth month, and October Grandpa's. Autumn became, last year, a season of emptiness, of everything dying, never to return.

After a shaky start, this autumn is turning into a season of peace and wonder. It doesn't feel like death. It is merely change. A change with so much wonder and subtleties and beauty that it lifts any spirit. No more needing to worry about the future. As sure as there are trees losing leaves, there will be trees sprouting new ones. The days are shortening, but they are also heading for the turn, the solstice, the march towards longer days.

It's not the permanence of things we can trust in, because nothing stays the same. We can trust in the process, though, the continuing cycle of birth, growth, maturity, rest, rebirth - whether it be ideas, ourselves or nature (though last year I raged at the lack of things staying the same).

And I noticed today, for the first time, that a painting of Norwegian scenery done by Grandma was given as a birthday present to Grandpa; it says so in the signature: "To John - Oct 7 1950 - Marion".

There is so much love behind that simple greeting. It is a reminder of all the love they had for each other - and for the children in their care: My mother and myself. October has become a month of hope and hearts.

Comments

Tim said…
You put it beautifully, Keera. I must admit, October is one of my favorite months, because the temperature is mildly comfortable for a walking heater such as myself.

Although - and not to sound depressing - I'm surely not looking forward to winter. I almost wish we got the snow that Østlandet did, so we'd at least have something besides grey. I ALMOST wish it, but then I remember the extreme cold and constant acrobatics I had to preform to get to the mailbox and market.
Keera Ann Fox said…
Yeah, there's a good side and a bad side to everything. If the rowan trees are anything to go by, though, this winter will be snowy.
Paula said…
I love autumn. Love back-to-school, Halloween, and Thanksgiving (but not turkey!). It feels as if all good things will happen in the fall, though that isn't always true.
Anonymous said…
I trust in the process. I'm just starting to, and I have to admit, it keeps surprising me how well things seem to work out...

I've always loved autumn. It's the season of fresh starts (I've always lived on an academic calendar), fresh, crisp, cool air and cozy nesting.
Anonymous said…
Høst betyr også forkjølelse... Dette er min andre den siste måneden... Blah. *host host snyt snyt*

Du er fanget inni mobilen miiin! XD
Keera Ann Fox said…
Høst betyr host, hva? ;-) God bedring!
Keera Ann Fox said…
Alice, the lovely part about autumn is also the darker evenings and lights in people's windows.
Anonymous said…
There's so much goodness in the fall -- the lights, the smells, warm food (soup!), a slower pace to the day...

Mmmm....
Keera Ann Fox said…
The pace part may be cultural. My experience here in Norway is that summer is the slow season. It's an active time of year, but not hectic. More opportunity to just sit and enjoy. The busiest seasons here are actually autumn and spring. Winter is the season of rest, of routine, of staying in and staying home. But maybe that was what you were thinking of? The coming calm.
Tim said…
Yes, since most are rushing in from the cold, rushing to get the remainder of the wood cut so they won't have to do it in the cold - which I haven't done, shame on me . . . but I'll be the one "paying" for that mistake.

Summer here is dead, as well. Although, don't be surprised to hear a few mowers going at 12 - 1 am. ;)
Keera Ann Fox said…
I hope you got the mowing done, because they're promising snow by the end of the week. ;-)

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning out my surf-box

Brave enough, after all