Finale

It arrived. The one document that makes everything irreversible. It makes me catch my breath. I get emotional opening the thick envelope from the US embassy in Oslo. They returned my passport, canceled. That's what makes the envelope thick. The rest are slim papers: The actual Certificate of Loss of Nationality of the United States, with several sheets attached. The first one tells me my options if I want to reconsider my loss, and the next ones are a set of the paperwork I signed at the embassy, now embossed with the embassy's seal.

My eyes skim the papers, seeing dates. Renunciation date. Processing date. Dates that show actions and decisions. Final acts. Final decisions.

I tear up again.

Also in the envelope, a receipt I am to return in an enclosed envelope, confirming receipt of the other stuff. The instructions say to return this receipt as soon as possible to complete the renunciation service.

I have to buy stamps.

But first, I need to breathe. However much I've wanted this, it is still emotional. Norway is my only country now, for better or worse.

OK, thinking that actually helped.

Whew.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning out my surf-box

Brave enough, after all