Kind of sort of a Christmas letter

OK, so I didn't write anything for a while here because, well, I didn't like the other layout (this being a new setup and home for my blog). Wordpress updated with a new one I felt like fiddling with, so here I am. I'm in consolidation mode. I probably should be shopping for Christmas presents, but instead, I'm writing a blog post (this one you're reading right here) and trying to understand budgeting (again) using YNAB. You're not supposed to use it as a way of tracking your bank accounts, so I'm going to try doing spending without involving bank account movements. I'm one of those people who spends what she has because it's there. For 2015, I'm going to spend because it's in the budget. We'll see if my checking account survives this shocking change. 

Life in Norway currently includes cold, wet weather with lots of thunderstorms ('tis the season) and stores open from 2-7 pm on Sundays for Christmas shopping. It also includes hunting for an alternative way to make eggnog, because that stuff simply doesn't exist here. You can find Reese's peanut butter cups, pumpkin pie mix, turkey, maple syrup (organic!) and corn on the cob, but they don't have eggnog. This is what I get for befriending Americans. I've been living happily here since 1981 without eggnog. Now I want to make some. (Don't worry, I'm still living happily here.)

Bergen bay during Tall Ships' Race 2014
I spent my summer vacation hanging out with the Americans who want eggnog. 2014 was a year of extremes. For many people, there was a lot of upheaval in their personal lives (I got down-sized and re-hired, myself), and even the weather was doing something it doesn't normally do: Our wettest summer month was our driest and hottest. July offered a heatwave while Bergen was hosting the Tall Ships' Race. It was four days of magic and Bergen at its best, ever.

I hope, even with all the crazy, that you too have landed on your feet in 2014. Happy holidays and cheers!

You can get beer on top of Bergen’s tallest mountain, Ulriken. SkÃ¥l!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning out my surf-box

Brave enough, after all