Meet Martin Luther

I do have more to tell - or show, really - from Dresden and the rest of my trip. I just sort of have to figure out how to pare down all the photos. And figure out what to say. The truth is that I have some gorgeous photos from Dresden - and nothing to say about the city. It - didn't move me. But Dresden matters, even in my story. Here's one reason:

You see, you can't go through Norwegian school or Norwegian life without thinking about Martin Luther at some point. His protest, nailed to a door in Wittenberg, started the reformation and forever changed Norway's Catholic churches to Protestant ones. The official state religion of Norway is Lutheran Evangelical. As a child in a Norwegian school, I had to take a religion history class (called Christianity class) which introduced us to his catechisms, the big and the little. I got good grades in that class, simply because I was able to pay attention and learn (most of the other kids hated that class). It never converted me, though - not that it was intended to. I question everything and prefer the sort of religion that tells you to just go live already because God is busy doing same. Can't say that's the message I ever got from the Lutherans, though I don't mind their work ethic.

So I just had to take the photo of Martin Luther's statue in Dresden. I also took a photo from behind. The meticulous recreation of the folds in his cape fascinate me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Insults and the right to free speech

Faith in Jesus, interrupted

How Norwegians make friends