Christmas stuff

Last night, I finally felt peace descend on me. Final Christmas presents were in the bag, mail to America sent (late, but on its way), and I was suddenly a free woman again. I found myself in no hurry and decided to just sit for a bit, doing nothing. And so I discovered this year's Christmas decoration at our local mall.

I'm not into nativity scenes. As far as standard Christmas decorations go, neither are Norwegians. They tend to stick to "nisse", their local version of a leprechaun, who is associated with Yule, or even the American Santa Claus. Previous years have had some rather tacky giant Santas hanging from the ceiling. Not so this year. I was a bit surprised at the gathering of wise men, angels, a shepherd and the parents with their new-born. Funny thing is, it appealed to me. I liked the subtle and simple way the eyes were made (so subtle you can barely make out the little crescents), the simple but effective way they differentiated between the magis' fine garments, and Jesus' family's simpler dress. There was a gentleness to everything. I moved in for a closer look, and enjoyed the tableau so much, that when I noticed some bottle caps tossed in the hay, I removed them.

Respect for a nativity scene... I must be getting soft.

I don't mind.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning out my surf-box

Brave enough, after all