Finding God in the next person you meet - Part 2

Two years ago, I wrote a post about my exploration of Mahatma Gandhi's quote, "If you don't find God in the next person you meet, it is a waste of time looking for him further."

I haven't been exploring that concept lately, but today decided to try again. As before, I added to my affirmative set-up for the day with a slight change in wording: "…and teach me to find God in everyone I meet today."

Now, I didn't have the exact same experience as the first time I tried it, but I did end up having a lovely day. I found myself observing how pleasant other people were. I noticed I was more forthcoming and helpful. Observing the crazy hair-do of a store clerk made me only wonder how the cut was done, not whether or not it was attractive; in other words, I did not judge. The best part about this business about finding God is that it always removes or dampens that side of me that is critical, cynical, stand-offish, selfish. I have to say that I've enjoyed who I was today and I want to experience it again.

God may very well be teaching me to find God in myself.

Comments

Sparkling Red said…
I had that quote written where I could see it every day, for a few months, last year. It's so true. And yet so difficult to do, if you're not truly putting a lot of intention into it.
Keera Ann Fox said…
It does take a lot to turn the attitude/awareness into a regular habit that doesn't require constant reminders. But my first lessons in learning certainly seemed easy enough.

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning out my surf-box

Brave enough, after all