Peaceful, not boring

I irritated myself the other day. It started with running into my old boss, the man who initially hired me 22 years ago at the company I'm still at.

I was happy to see him, with mores lines in his face but still himself, and still blonde, not gray. He gave me a big hug and I got caught up on what his life was like now: Retired, doing consulting work 4 days a week, and apparantly (still) pleased with life. Then he asked me about myself: Was I married? Was I still living in the same place? I answered no and yes, and added "only boring to report". And that's when I irritated myself.

My life is not boring! Experiencing no change in marital status or home address over the course of two decades is not the same as boring. It's stable, it's peaceful. I moved house so many times when I was a kid. I can remember three homes before the age of 6, and due to other moves and circumstances, I also have never attended any one school for more than 2 years. I am so happy to be able to be in one place, to not be torn up by the roots and replanted somewhere else.

My two-year pattern (a Mars cycle?) seemed to continue at work, changing jobs and departments every second year, but after my Saturn return, I've settled into 7-year cycles (so far) - which is how I got to 22 years and counting with the same company.

So no, my life is not boring, my life is stable; where I get my mail is no longer decided by my family, and my marital status is my choice. I have peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning out my surf-box

Brave enough, after all