Memes and chain letters

In my last blog, I participated in a meme. I followed the link (Minding the Planet) to discover that this particular meme is now "closed" and another one has started in its place. Did I want to participate in this next incarnation as well?

That's when it hit me: This is just like chain letters! In my childhood, I would get a carefully copied, handwritten letter usually stating that this chain had started in 1959 in some other country, so please don't break it! After one attempt at doing my part and deciding it wasn't worth the bother, I have since taken great pride in breaking chains.

So no more memes for me. Not that the idea is invalid or that watching ideas catch on and spread is uninteresting; I just was never any good at following the crowd.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning out my surf-box

Brave enough, after all