Deliveries (a complaint)

Well-meaning people in the US ship me stuff via UPS, FedEx, TNT and the like (hereinafter referred to as Other Delivery Company, or ODC). The latest to do this was Amazon.com.

You know what? They all suck. You know why? Because in Norway, you get the best service from our post office. Seriously. Some mail order firms in Norway will use some alternative delivery system and deliver to a store near you. For an extra NOK 95, I can get my local post office to deliver the same package to my own front door, in the evening when I'm home, if I want. Or, I can walk in the opposite direction of the aforementioned store to my local post office and pick it up myself if I want to save some money. Since I pass by the post office every day to and from work, it's actually convenient for me to use them.

The alternative package delivery firms that companies seem to be so fond of are not for regular working people. They are best suited for company-to-company deliveries that take place during working hours. I got my books today from Amazon. Speedy delivery, yes, but only during office hours and the address Amazon has for me is my home address (and I didn't see any notice that I should offer a daytime address; I've learned to do that with Apple). I missed the ODC guy yesterday because of course I'm at work during the day. He did call on my landline phone at home, so I called back and gave him my cell phone number. Today, I walked past my post office again. Because the ODC guy said he'd meet me outside the shopping mall it is in some time after 12:30 pm to give me my package. He couldn't be bothered actually driving to my street, apparently, and I couldn't be bothered asking him why the h*** not. I just didn't want to miss him again, and I did have an errand at our local shopping mall.

But now that I think about it, I find I'm a bit annoyed at the service. I paid extra for speedy delivery. It was speedy all right (4 days from Las Vegas to Fyllingsdalen) but I wonder how much I was supposed to pay for actual delivery?

Comments

Zuzana said…
Hmm, that is odd. I am not sure how Amazon delivers in Denmark, but I always order my stuff to my work address and it arrives always within 3-4 days directly into my mailbox, no fuzz.
And I always use Amazon.uk as Amazon.com no longer ships to Denmark.;)
Zuzana said…
Or is it fuss? Gosh, my English at times... Hehe.;)
Keera Ann Fox said…
It's probably without both fuss and fuzz. :-)

I often order from Amazon.co.uk, though Amazon.com still ships to Norway. I think the shift to letting EU-based Amazons service EU countries has to do with - the EU. Norway's not a member.

I don't know why a US shipper chooses an ODC over the US postal service. I don't live in that country any more. :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning out my surf-box

Brave enough, after all