Pin cushion

The tips of the acupuncture needles have colored caps. As I looked down my body, I saw cheerful light blue and pink sticking out of my leg and foot. One needle went into my hand and when the acupuncturist pulled it out, I was surprised to see it had been more than a centimeter (half an inch) deep in my flesh. No blood. As I look at that hand now, I can hardly tell it was poked.

As I said to my acupuncturist, who turned out to be a girl I had sat next to for nearly three hours at the astrology meeting last Thursday (I'm such a ditz sometimes), I have managed to spend a lifetime immersed in New Age stuff but only now have I tried acupuncture. I'll have to ask her on Friday (my next appointment) what my pulses and tongue told her today, but based on what I told her, she focused primarily on my digestion. She told me that the meridians for the intestines cross the shoulder and since I do have digestive trouble, she decided to work on that. So she started with a needle in my foot, on my leg, and then one in each hand.

The process of the needles going in was unfamiliar to me; I hadn't even read about it. She poked for a tender spot (and I may or may not have felt the spot as tender), asked me inhale deepøy and the needle went in. Then she did something (I didn't actually look, since I was a tad squeamish, but on Friday I'll look) to adjust the needle and asked me to let her know when I felt something like an electrical shock (like the sensation of hitting your funny bone, but milder). I didn't always feel the jolt but it didn't really matter. When she removed the needles after 20 minutes and then stuck six in my neck and shoulders, I felt no jolts. (I told her the patient died. She laughed.)

As the needles worked, I could feel a little tingling in the body part or even a stinging sensation where the needle was. One needle on my shoulder felt like it was heating the point up. My acupuncturist told me that where I felt something were points that were working harder than the points I felt nothing from.

I have no idea what to expect and it may very well be that I won't notice anything until after I've had several treatments. So I've got appointments for Friday and next Tuesday. Generally, I thought the whole experience was fun!

Comments

SolSionnach said…
Will comment tomorrow - I should've been in bed an hour and a half ago. To much catching up to do (now that I'm back home)
Cleo Pascal said…
Hi Keera! How many sessions did you have for acupuncture? I'm thinking about trying this alternative healing medicine, but I still want to find other personal recommendations from people who have actually tested it. It seems somewhat effective by the way you described your experience.
Keera Ann Fox said…
Hi, Cleo!

I went twice weekly the first month, then weekly for another 3 months. By then, things had improved enough that I didn't feel the need for more acupuncture. My acupuncturist used several techniques on me, including cupping, and they all had benefit. A lot of stuff was revealed during conversation, too, the emotional stuff that causes the physical problems. I could tell by how some of the acupuncture points responded that I was hitting an emotional "nerve". You'll get the most out of it if you are willing to see the mind-body connection and work on the mind part, while your body gets some help. I wish you success and healing!

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning out my surf-box

Brave enough, after all