Grass farming

I grew up in an era where there was a call of "back to nature" (the influence of the flower children of the 60's), where more and more humans stopped defining all the members of nature (from bacteria to whales) as having the quality of good or bad. We had embraced ecology and the awareness that our own value system has nothing to do with the natural order, and that the natural order is perfectly set up and not to be meddled with. So I ended up not hating the lion for killing the cute antelope, nor thinking the antelope was all that cute. Rather, they just are, and one can admire the grace and ability of each species to make the best of rather tricky and life-threatening situations without labeling. Ah, evolution...

Also, when I was growing up, organic farming was getting (back) into fashion, and I never lost faith in it. Happily, I keep coming across all kinds of reasons for why working with nature as it is - rather than inventing and using chemicals and genetic modifications - is the healthiest and most financially sound method of growing food. And the resulting food is also better for you.

My intention today was simply to shut up and let someone else do the talking, but I had to give you an introduction so you can understand why I want to share this 17 minute long talk by author Michael Pollan. It makes me want a lawn and some cows and chickens.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning out my surf-box

Brave enough, after all