It's all in Japanese

I was surfing the worldwide web and my own bookshelves, looking something up for a friend. I therefore became reacquainted with the Japanese term "sanpaku", which means "three whites", i.e. the whites in your eyes show up on three sides, not just two. The third is either above or below the iris.

Sanpaku shows imbalance, whether physical or spiritual, and so warns of failing health or an otherwise unhappy life which can lead to an untimely death. Apparantly, cats can have sanpaku eyes, too (though I suspect these critters were merely photographed with their heads tilting down). Which was really what I wanted to blog about, but then Blogger consistently offered up all of its links in its Dashboard in Japanese.

Now, I'm familiar enough with posting to Blogger to know what the mysterious links actually do (and the color-coding helps, too), but I hadn't experienced the Japanese "glitch" with my browsers at home. I could manage a post, but I couldn't manage my blogs, templates and profile in Japanese. After spending the better part of the evening tweaking language choices, tossing my cookies (heh) and restarting browsers and computers, I finally found a pull-down menu around about where I'd choose to edit my profile (i.e. under my photo) that let me choose a different language.

No more Japanese! Well, except for sanpaku.

Comments

SolSionnach said…
And I thought of this picture: http://www.remember-princess-diana.com/princess-diana-supernatural.html
sanpaku!
Keera Ann Fox said…
No, she has her head tilted down, eyes looking up, a pose she was famous for. It made a tall woman look shorter. This photo, where she is looking in a more down direction and yet the whole lower edge of the irises show, is a better example of sanpaku. This TIME cover shows her right eye sanpaku, and her left OK.
SolSionnach said…
I knew that she was sanpaku... but of course, you're right about the pic I linked to.

On another subject, why won't Google let me stay signed in? I have to re-sign in for every commment - and yes, I do have cookies, so that's not the issue. grrr
Keera Ann Fox said…
I have an excellent sanpaku example hanging above me right now: My grandpa's portrait. Both eyes sanpaku and pipe in mouth. He was in rather bad health at the time. He gave up smoking not long after Grandma drew this portrait and he lived to be almost 93, with normal-looking eyes.

Re Google: Have you checked off the "remember me" box?

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning out my surf-box

Brave enough, after all