Decisions and teeth

"You Can Heal Your Life" by Louise Hay has a list of metaphysical and/or emotional reasons for physical ailments and attendant, healing affirmations. Some time this summer my right front incisor started to feel slightly looser. It seemed to be able to lean a bit against its neighboring teeth. By last week, I was feeling a sensation in my upper lip right where the root to that tooth is that I can best describe as "vibrating". Last Saturday, the wiggle seemed to be even more noticeable than ever. I took a deep breath and told myself not to panic.

There are a few ways to seriously scare me. Bodywise, it just takes the suggestion of chest/breast surgery of any kind - or my teeth breaking or falling out.

I called the dentist Monday morning and was told my favorite dentist was out on indefinite sick-leave. Well, dentists in Norway are generally good, I've never been mistreated yet, so I got an appointment for Thursday, yesterday.

Wednesday I was home from work (my regular one-day-a-month off). I chose to go take a soak in the tub, but before doing that, opened my Louise Hay book to see what teeth problems are about. It said, "Longstanding indecision."

Oh. Wow. But of course.

I have, lately, been once again grappling with the idea and the yearning of changing jobs/careers/whatever. Once again, I find myself questioning whether or not I'm supposed to stay with my employer of almost 25 years for the 20 I have left before regular retirement age. I have been reading books like Napoleon Hill's "Think and Grow Rich", on setting my mind to believe in unlimited options, on musing on God and the concept that God is, whereas we humans (and everything in our world) is when God acts. The message from Hill and others is that I must first know what I want, then desire it with a passion. I can't move if I have no where to move to.

As I lay in the tub soaking, I was making a list. Asking myself if I were to go to college, what would I major in? I didn't get that far, but I did come to a clearer understanding of what my talents are. I also found how I'd been accidentally sabotaging myself: I keep saying I don't know what I want to be when I grow up, and so, of course I don't know. I haven't put it into my mind that I would know! So I made up my mind to find out what to be now that I really am grown up.

My teeth are not the straightest so they don't wear evenly. The result is that my right front tooth still had the cuspettes that are typical of new permanent teeth and which are usually worn away by the time one enters college.

The new dentist turned out to have the lightest touch I have ever experienced. It was the most amazing pain-free 45 minutes I have ever spent in a dentist's office. I didn't even feel his scraping away the tartar! I darned near started to relax! He did the teeth cleaning after he'd checked my bite, came to the conclusion that things were a bit off - and filed my right front tooth down just a little. Just enough to remove the cuspettes.

I left with an adult smile.

Comments

SolSionnach said…
Glad to hear that you had such a good experience at the dentist! I'm sure I'll be hearing more about your life adventures - I'll be emailing about mine later today.

srav
Keera Ann Fox said…
Oh, you're in the loop, you know. :-)
that's a great story.
Thankyou so much.
My teeth have been messed up in the last year and then I was thinking 'what does Louise Hay' have to say about it. Indecision about 'getting your teeth into something'.
Ah probably.

Thanks for writing what you said - I am going through a similar - 'what am I doing with my life' type thing - and I am realising in some ways I kind of chose some pretty daunting stuff and decided to make it my mission - so I realised the self sabotage stuff is actually some kind of ego protection thing going on, to stop myself launching myself from the tops of buildings and thinking I'm superwoman. You know, that kind of stuff. Worry about dentists. Leave the rest of the world to sort itself out.
Keera Ann Fox said…
Welcome, E. B. Lady! I agree, worry about dentists. :-) The world does improve when we improve the details.

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning out my surf-box

Brave enough, after all